Toss and Roll is one of Kingston’s newest food spots. The days-old eatery is owned and operated by Keisha Bailey and hubby Jermaine Bailey at 2 Trafalgar Road, Kingston 5. (Read my post on Lunch at Toss and Roll). Patrons can come in between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to enjoy the freshest wraps, sandwiches, and salads, all hand-cut and assembled on spot. Delivery options are also available: call 876-879-3310.
Toss and Roll comes at the perfect time when Jamaica has joined the health and fitness movement and has embraced the eat clean, eat local concept. Let’s get to know a little more about Keisha & Jermaine’s vision to provide Kingstonians with a better, healthier alternative to lunch.
Name: Jermaine Bailey, Keisha Bailey
Age: 30, 28
Occupation: MBA student at UWI, Risk Manager at JMMB
1. Where did you get the idea to open up Toss & Roll?
- The concept for Toss & Roll started with my sister in law Shanna-Lee Bennett who wanted to provide healthier breakfast options to a few corporate companies in new Kingston and Liguanea. My wife Keisha and I would assist her with sales and also give advice on strategy for her business. Shanna-Lee recently migrated but she’s still a part of our operations giving advice on menu planning and new items we plan to add in the future.
- Also we wanted to provide meal options that were healthy but not necessarily vegetarian. We wanted to get away from the traditional beans and ‘ital stew’ and just provide low calorie, low fat and high protein meals to our customers. We are very big on freshness and so we prepare our ingredients daily to ensure our customers get the freshest healthiest meal possible.
2. Was the process from concept to realisation a difficult one?
- Getting Toss & Roll off the ground was a very tedious process. Finding the right location was a key part of our strategy and this took quite some time. Eventually we found the Small Business Association of Jamaica and with their mandate to help provide facilities for start-ups and small businesses to succeed we felt that this location would be the perfect fit for us.
- Staffing was another important part of getting the business running so we spent months scouting around for the right customer focused persons who would delight our customers on each visit.
- Getting the right supply of fresh vegetables and protein was also important. So from early on we sought to find key suppliers who would give us the wholesome ingredients we want to serve our customers. Our vegetables are fresh from the farm without any preservatives and hand cut daily right in our store. Our meats are also freshly done and we stay far away from using preservative and MSG etc.
3. What is your relationship with food like?
- We are food lovers….we are very meticulous about what is served to us and so we ensure that only the freshest, most wholesome ingredients are used for items on our menu
- My sister-in-law Shanna-Lee is even more particular about the standard of the meals we serve and so we have a dedicated team working to ensure our customers are always satisfied
4. What are your views on veganism?
- Veganism is a healthy lifestyle also and we enjoy vegan food. We however want to position ourselves as a salad bar serving meals that are fresh and healthy…not necessarily vegetarian or vegan. Our ingredients used in our meals are packed with a wide range of vitamins and have a wide range of health benefits.
5. Where do you see Toss and Roll in the next 2 years?
- Our plan is to encourage healthier eating habits among our customers and the wider Jamaica. In order to achieve this initiative we want to have more store locations opened some time in the medium term.